From: gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org [mailto:gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org] On
Behalf Of Devrim Erdem
Sent: Wednesday, 26 December 2001 2:19
To: gcc-help
Subject: Faster compilations

Hi,

My huge application has many include files, many derived classes and
several template classes. It takes a lot of time (30-40s) to compile
some of my files on my 1GHz, 256 Mb Ram system.

Though I know that getting a faster harddrive and more RAM may help, I
would like to ask the experts if that would really work. What takes most

of the time during the compilation  ?

Is it possible to organize files ( other than grouping them into
libraries ) so that they may compile faster ?

I use precompiled headers on Windows with Visual C++. Is there a similar

technique with gcc ?

Thanks.

--
Devrim Erdem