--program-suffix

I'm trying to install multiple versions of gcc onto a system so that users
can select which version they wish to use.  I'd like to be able to install
gcc so that the version numbers are mangled into the binary names (eg.
g++-2.95.3, cpp-2.95.3, etc.)

The documentation made mention of --program-suffix, but applying this
option seemed to have no effect. I tried this both on gcc2.95.3 and
gcc3.0.3, the two versions I am trying to install.

Any ideas how I may go about doing this?  In the worst case, I was
thinking of renaming the binaries by hand, but I think this would require
some changes to the source so that the programs could find each other and
thus is a less than optimal solution.

Thanks,
Albert

I believe in death after life...

"Someone has to be screwed up to teach everyone else"

PGP Key and Fingerprint:
	http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/awong/gnupgpkey.txt
	603F 118F 2B0E 47C6 9FCE  B0AA DA83 089D B120 6714