Re: Is there a way to make static executable out of ELF shared one?

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 23:37, Ricardo Derbes wrote:
> Hi
> Itīs possible to recompile all the sources as static, but your ramdisk will
> be a lot bigger than compiling as shared and adding libc to the ramdisk...
> itīs easier, too.. you can simply copy all what is needed (and shared
> libraries, which you can find running ldd on each executable you want on
> the ramdisk) to a new rootfilesystem, and then gzipping it (better done on
> a loop). In addition, you can compile packages as Busybox, which provide a
> lot of  basic functionality in a very small footprint. In as little as 2-3
> Megs you can build a very powerful system, without bells & whistles as X,
> but with networking support and all the servers you may need (telnet, ftp,
> http), and useful stuff. If you are really tight of space, you can build a
> complete (well, almost) system in a 1.44M floppy, including a 2.4.x
> kernel...

Thank you for your info.

My question was born when I tried to quickly hack together a ramdisk for
little netboot experiment, it turned out I can't use modprobe 'coz in needs
libc, and glibc is too big for ramdisk.

I thought it is easy to 'relink' modprobe into static binary, but...
It turned out that setting up an umsdos is faster than downloading,
configuring, building and testing of several source tarballs :-)
--
vda