RE: Elementary makefile questions

Thanks for the response.

I had problems running step 3 (see below), and wanted to know if my
configuration was correct.

>>>    2. Configure GNU make. It sounds like you've already done this.

This means running the configure script. I did this and got the following
output, which seemed ok:

$ configure^M
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c^M
checking whether build environment is sane... yes^M
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) no^M
checking for working aclocal... missing^M
checking for working autoconf... missing^M
checking for working automake... missing^M
checking for working autoheader... missing^M
checking for working makeinfo... missing^M
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8^M
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) no^M
checking for gcc... (cached) cc^M
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... yes^M
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) is a cross-compiler... no^M
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) no^M
checking whether cc accepts -g... (cached) yes^M
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c^M
checking for ar... (cached) ar^M
checking for ranlib... (cached) :^M
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E^M
checking for AIX... no^M
checking for POSIXized ISC... no^M
checking for minix/config.h... (cached) no^M
checking for perl... (cached) perl^M
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8^M
checking for getconf... (cached) getconf^M
checking for CFLAGS value to request large file support... (cached) -D_LARGEFILE
_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64^M
checking for LDFLAGS value to request large file support... (cached) ^M
checking for LIBS value to request large file support... (cached) ^M
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS... (cached) 64^M
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE... (cached) 1^M
checking for _LARGE_FILES... (cached) no^M
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes^M
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... (cached) yes^M
checking for opendir in -ldir... (cached) no^M
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for pid_t... (cached) yes^M
checking return type of signal handlers... (cached) void^M
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for limits.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for sys/param.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for fcntl.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for string.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for sys/time.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for sys/timeb.h... (cached) yes^M
checking whether cc understands -c and -o together... (cached) yes^M
checking for cc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none needed^M
checking for working const... (cached) no^M
checking for inline... (cached) no^M
checking whether stat file-mode macros are broken... (cached) no^M
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... (cached) yes^M
checking whether NLS is wanted... yes^M
checking for locale.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for library containing gettext... (cached) none required^M
checking whether the system has GNU gettext... (cached) no^M
checking whether to use included gettext... yes^M
checking for getcwd... (cached) yes^M
checking for setlocale... (cached) yes^M
checking for stpcpy... (cached) no^M
checking for LC_MESSAGES... (cached) yes^M
checking which translations to install... de es fr ja ko nl pl pt_BR ru^M
checking for nanoseconds member of struct stat.st_mtim... (cached) tv_nsec^M
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for library containing clock_gettime... (cached) -lrt^M
checking for standard gettimeofday... (cached) yes^M
checking for memmove... (cached) yes^M
checking for memcpy... (cached) yes^M
checking for strchr... (cached) yes^M
checking for strdup... (cached) yes^M
checking for psignal... (cached) yes^M
checking for mkstemp... (cached) yes^M
checking for mktemp... (cached) yes^M
checking for fdopen... (cached) yes^M
checking for dup2... (cached) yes^M
checking for getcwd... (cached) yes^M
checking for sigsetmask... (cached) yes^M
checking for sigaction... (cached) yes^M
checking for getgroups... (cached) yes^M
checking for setlinebuf... (cached) yes^M
checking for seteuid... (cached) yes^M
checking for setegid... (cached) yes^M
checking for setreuid... (cached) yes^M
checking for setregid... (cached) yes^M
checking for pipe... (cached) yes^M
checking for strerror... (cached) yes^M
checking for strsignal... (cached) yes^M
checking for sys_siglist... (cached) yes^M
checking for working alloca.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for alloca... (cached) yes^M
checking for vfork.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for working vfork... (cached) yes^M
checking for vprintf... (cached) yes^M
checking for working strcoll... (cached) yes^M
checking whether closedir returns void... (cached) no^M
checking whether setvbuf arguments are reversed... (cached) no^M
checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... (cached) yes^M
checking for pstat_getdynamic... (cached) no^M
checking for elf_begin in -lelf... (cached) yes^M
checking for kvm_open in -lkvm... (cached) yes^M
checking for getloadavg in -lutil... (cached) no^M
checking for getloadavg in -lgetloadavg... (cached) no^M
checking for getloadavg... (cached) yes^M
checking whether getloadavg requires setgid... (cached) no^M
checking for sys/wait.h... (cached) yes^M
checking for waitpid... (cached) yes^M
checking for wait3... (cached) yes^M
checking for union wait... (cached) no^M
checking for sys_siglist declaration in signal.h or unistd.h... (cached) no^M
checking for library containing getpwnam... (cached) none required^M
checking for location of SCCS get command... (cached) get^M
checking if system libc has GNU glob... (cached) no; using local copy^M
creating ./config.status^M
creating build.sh^M
creating Makefile^M
creating glob/Makefile^M
creating i18n/Makefile^M
creating config.h^M
config.h is unchanged^M

>>>    3. Invoke SUN make in the same directory as the makefile. Simply
>>>       type:
>>>
>>>       make
>>>
>>>       and it should compile GNU make for you.

I ran this and got the following error message:

make  all-recursive
sh: make: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'

I do not know why this message occurred. Could somebody tell me why?

Thanks
Kabir

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.