RE: building a .so with G++ on Linux, restated

Great book! Thank you for the reference. I just finished reading a number of
sections from it. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm doing things correctly.
:-(

Another (probably better) description of the problems I'm having: My C++ .so
built with G++ /does/ work well, but only when called via a C++ program
built with the same version of G++ (3.0.2). If I try to call the .so with C,
Java, or different versions of G++, then only the trivial function calls
work. When the more complex functions are used (those that use & catch
exceptions, use iostreams, use STL, etc), then I start seeing problems like
"Aborted" and core dump. (Yes, all exceptions are caught within the .so.)

Are there, perhaps, any references about building a C++ .so with G++ on
Linux, such that the .so can reliably be called from C, Java, etc?

Thanks,
John