Re: Building gcc

Frank Schafer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm building a complete GNU/Linux system from scratch. The first turn,
> building everything needed statically linked went fine. Now I'll need to
> make the static build.
>
> During the static build there were already several include files
> installed. The glibc docs say to remove everything in ``/usr/include''.
> Can I remove this ( or better initialize it containing only the kernel
> headers ) before the build, if everything is static?

I did this some time ago, and recalled that I followed the instructions
presented in the "Linux From Scratch" guide. Whatever they had worked
quite well.

> Oh, before I forget ... will I be able to build everything with 3.0.x?
> It is reported, that ( at least glibc ) things cannot be built with it.
> I got a reply, that there is a patch for 2.95.3 to proper compile glibc,
> but nobody can tell me WHERE it is.

It probably would be best to keep older compilers around like 2.95.3 for
the kernel and libraries. 2.95.2 probably will work out, although egcs
2.91 or whatever would be best for the kernel.
--
Curtis R. Anderson, Co-creator of "Gleepy the Hen", SP 2.5?, KoX
No digital wireless, no xDSL, no pagers. Keeps the riff-raff out.