object directory is temporary?

Please forgive a very newbie question, but I can't find the answer
anywhere.

I just finished installing gcc-3.0.1, and I noticed that a bunch of the
files (for example, in /usr/local/lib) contain the path to the
build/object directory. I had assumed I could delete that directory after
the install, but was I mistaken? Do the files in /usr/local depend on the
files in the build/object directory?

Thanks,

Paul
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!