using local glibc 2.2.4 on ia64-linux

I need to build and use GCC 3.0.1 and 3.x on an ia64 machine that is
also used by other people.  For ia64 there is a now a strict requirement
to use glibc 2.2.4, enforced in config/ia64/fde-glibc.c.  I can't
install the new glibc in /lib, and so far I can't figure out how to use
it from a local directory where I have it installed.  I can do a simple
GCC build using the new glibc but it's fairly ugly, and I have not yet
succeeded in doing a bootstrap.

For the simple build, for configure I set CFLAGS to
"-Wl,--dynamic-linker,${GLIBCDIR}/lib/ld-2.2.4.so" and in the
environment for configure and make I exported the following:

  export LIBRARY_PATH=${GLIBCDIR}/lib
  export LD_RUN_PATH=${GLIBCDIR}/lib
  export C_INCLUDE_PATH=${GLIBCDIR}/include
  export PLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=${GLIBCDIR}/include

This let me build, but I didn't try installing the new GCC and using
it.

For a bootstrap I set the same environment variables and tried various
things to pass the --dynamic-linker flag, including setting combinations
of CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and BOOT_CFLAGS on the command line for make.  So
far nothing has worked.

What's the right way to do this, both so that I can do the bootstrap and
then so that programs built with the new compiler will use the new
library?  I'll just be using the compiler and the programs built from it
on the same machine, so expecting the library to always be in that place
will not be a problem for me.

Janis