puzzling gcc link-time errors on RedHat Linux 7.1

Hi,

I've been trying to build a library on RH 7.1 platforms using various
versions of gcc.  This library is fairly large but highly portable and
I've been able to build it on various platforms (KCC on SGI/IRIX,
IBM/AIX, DEC/Tru64, Sun/SunOS, as well as vendor compilers on some of
these platforms) so I don't think its a portability issue.

On RH 6.2 I can build this correctly using various releases of g++
(2.95.2, 2.95.3, and 3.0).  On RH 7.1 using any of these releases I
can build but I get link-time errors.  The reported errors are
undefined references to various classes in the library, and are
emitted from various header files (e.g. include/g++-3/stl_alloc.h;
with some versions of gcc I get similar errors from libio as well).
I've played around with the order of libraries in the link phase,
without success.

Based on these results, my best guess is that the cause is something
specific to RH 7.1, but I have no idea where to look.  Any tips on
what the problem might be, or how to tailor a build of gcc to avoid
the problem, would be appreciated.

--
Michael Pernice
Computer and Computational Sciences Division