File descriptors with streams

I am trying to port a program from a solaris machine to a linux machine.
There is a certain section of code that uses the old ofstream constructor
that takes a file descriptor as its argument, and then later uses the fd()
function.  I have the new gcc 3.0 g++ compiler and I know the new libraries
do not support this anymore.  How would I work around this, or can I find
a library to support this feature?