I am a beginner installing gcc-3.0

I am doing this on my Soalris 2.8 for the first time.

I do not have cc except for /usr/ucb/cc which the
documentation says not to use.

I keep running the configure script and it can't find
gcc or cc in my path.  Of course, I don't have it.
I have tried a lot bogus things but nothing works...

I thought I was going to configure and build a gcc
compiler?

What am I doing wrong?  I have spent hours looking at
the internet documentation and my installation and the
light bulb is not going on yet.

How can I configure gcc to then build a compiler so I
can then make ssh?

Help please!  Thank you in advance.

Catherine Rowland