Re: trigraphs ????

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 12:39:57PM -0400, Michael Meissner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 07:15:53AM -0000, Aparna  Ranish wrote:
> > Hi
> > Can somebody tell me what is the usage of trigraphs ??? Is it supported by
> > all the Compilers.
>
> It is required to be supported by all ISO standard compilers.  The
> usage of trigraphs is to work around problems where some characters
> in the C source character set aren't available in the local
> character set (ie, some varients of ISO 646 in other countries use
> the same byte value for curley braces and other characters).

However, note that trigraphs are disabled by default in GNU C/C++/ObjC.
To enable them, you must use a command line switch: any of -trigraphs,
-ansi, -std=c89, -std=c99, -std=c++98 will do the trick.  The latter
four have other effects as well.

--
zw   You have to care about the 'fair trial' part; you have to care about
     the 'due process of law' part, and you have to care about these things