Re: libgcc.a on HPUX

law@redhat.com write:
>   In message <01K19FLBXKS2003UPB@thda14.transco.bgplc.com>you write:
>   > I am currently trying to install a perl module (Crypt::SSLeay),
which
>   > gets compiled with gcc because perl is compiled with gcc. This
gives
>   > me the following problem, which, I have been told, are caused
because
>   > libgcc.a is a static library and the make command tries to
build a
>   > shared library (if you couldn't already tell, I am not an
experienced
>   > C programmer). Is there a way of building a shared libgcc ?
> There is no trivial way to build a shared libgcc with existing GCC
releases.
> Future releases are expected to provide this functionality.
>

> However, if you link the shared library you are creating against
GCC, then
> it will get copies of any routines it needs which should avoid the
problem
> you're running into.
>
> jeff
Ok, I am going to show my ignorance here, I thought that the
following showed that it is trying to link against GCC, but somehow
cannot find the library. What should I do to get this thing to link
against GCC. I am sorry, I am not a C programmer, but I am very keen
to learn.

Kees

> perl Makefile.PL
Found OpenSSL (version OpenSSL 0.9.6) installed at
/var/iefadmn/gnu/usr
Which OpenSSL build path do you want to link against?
[/var/iefadmn/gnu/usr]

BUILD INFORMATION

ssl dir:        /var/iefadmn/gnu/usr
libraries:      -lssl -lcrypto -lgcc -lRSAglue -lrsaref
include dir:    /var/iefadmn/gnu/usr/include
ssl header:     openssl/ssl.h
ssl candidate:  /var/iefadmn/gnu/usr;
/var/iefadmn/gnu/usr/include/openssl; OpenSSL 0.9.6

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lgcc
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lRSAglue
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lrsaref
Writing Makefile for Crypt::SSLeay

PS. again apologies for the long disclaimer.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of
Transco plc, and the company, its directors, officers or employees
make no representation or accept any liability for its accuracy or
completeness unless expressly stated to the contrary.

This e-mail, and any attachments are strictly confidential and
intended for the addressee(s) only. The content may also contain
legal, professional or other privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, could you please notify the sender
immediately and then delete the e-mail and any attachments, you
should not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance of this
transmission.  Unless expressly stated to the contrary, no contracts
may be concluded on behalf of Transco plc by means of e-mail
communication.

You may report the matter by calling us on  +44 (0)1455 230999.

You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the contents of
this e-mail or any of its attachments without express consent.

Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or
detach any documents from this transmission.  Transco plc does not
accept any liability for viruses.

Transco plc is part of Lattice Group
Transco plc is registered in England: Company number: 2006000
Registered Office: 130 Jermyn Street, London, SW1Y 4UR
http://www.transco.uk.com