gen_call()

hello,
i've modified sparc.md (in the source of gcc 2.8.1), so that the standard
pattern name 'call' has only two operands....... i mean, after building
gcc for sparc as a cross-compiler, running on i586-linux, i've seen the
source 'insn-emit.c' where the function 'gen_call()' is defined. the
function has the following prototype:
 rtx gen_call(rtx, rtx)

however, in every invokation of this function (in calls.c, expr.c, and in
insn-emit.c also) it is passed four arguments (as expected)... so it is
expected that there'll be a compilation error at the time of building gcc
as a cross. but to my surprize, i've built it successfully...... can
anybody explain me why this happens.... i'm compiling the source of gcc
with gcc itself (installed on i586-linux)....

ps: just to explain what i'm actually doing-- i' working on a tool, as
part of my masters' project, that reads a machine description, written in
a language called Sim-nML, and converts it to a m/c description understood
by gcc (target.md, target.h, target.c)..... to do this i need to
understand gcc machine description thoroughly. this is what has brought me
here......

shalom!
soubhik.