mode dependent constants in gcc

Hi,
 I am working for gcc z80 port.
 In z80 the valid constants range depends on the
 instruction that involves the constants.

  If it is an 8 bit operation, the valid range is
       -128 to 127 and it differs in the
 16 bit operations.

  But in gcc I am not able to figure out how to
 handle this. The macro LEGITIMATE_CONSTANT
 checks for the valid constant range.
 But actually if I say

   some mode dependent check, it does n't work.
 May be because constants can pass any mode.

  Could you please tell me how to handle this.
 If I am assuming something wrong please let me
know.

thanks and regards

V.Brahmaiah