Re: GNU Assembler?

On Nov 22, 2000, Markus Werle <markus@lufmech.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> From a users point of view (well, at least from Markus Werle's
> point of view) gcc/binutils belong together in such a strong way,
> that most people would like to have them in the same package.

Well, then you should try to get all maintainers of binutils to
subscribe to this mailing list.  If you post messages to the wrong
forum, you're likely to miss the audience that would be most capable
of answering your question.

> Whom to ask about this? binutils developers? gcc developers?

Both?

> hpux developers? Everyone points to the others
> (no, not everyone: hp sends no reply at all).

:-)

> I believe a lot more people would use gcc if the user help desk

This mailing list is read and answered by volunteers, just like the
rest of the GNU project.  For one, answering messages posted here is
not part of my job at Red Hat.

I'm no binutils expert, but I try to answer questions about it as well
as I can.  But, while I do it, I also point out that people might get
better help by addressing folks that know better than myself.

> of binutils. We can't neglect the interaction of several packages.
> Divide and conquer is inappropriate here.

And then, we should get also the maintainers of glibc to subscribe.
And, soon, the maintainers of any project that happens to be installed
by default in any distribution of GNU/Linux, because the compiler just
finds the headers and the libraries of that project, so the compiler
folks must surely know about it, right?  Sorry, this just can't work.
The GNU project already has a generic newsgroup/mailing list in which
volunteers direct message to the maintainers of each tool.  gcc-help
is not such a mailing list, and, if it became one, I'd probably
unsubscribe.

> P.S.: It is the never ending story of the pros and cons of the cygnus
> tree, right?

Well, the unified tree makes it easier for people to build stuff
together, but it doesn't automatically make an expert in *one* of the
projects an expert in all of them.