automagically shorten variable names (mangling?)

Hi!

I use nested templates in a very extensive (say recursive) way
which leads to symbol names of extreme length (e.g. 1200 chars)

I remember there was a variable that could be set before bootstrap
so that gcc always replaces those names by shorter counterparts,
but I cannot remember where it was and whether it is still safe to do
so.

Any hints?

Btw.: Where is a list of all possible options which can be given to
../gcc/configure.?

Thanks, Markus