Re: cannot install gcc at all : problems with dummy.c

On Aug  5, 2000, "Dhananjay Naniwadekar" <nani@globalsight.com> wrote:

> write permissions for /opt directory. So it can't create /opt/binutils.
> So I ran just "make" instead.

HOw do you expect GCC to find programs you didn't install?  Use
configure --prefix=/... to indicate you want to install it in some
directory you can write.

> I ran "./configure" in directory {SERVER_PATH}/gcc-2.95.2 ; Then I ran "make
> install"

You must `make bootstrap' before `make install'.

> as: "/var/tmp/ccWFBx6b.s", line 14: error 1052: Directive name not
> recognized - NSUBSPA

This means it's not finding the assembler you should have installed.

> There is one file named "as" in directory /usr/ccs/bin .

That's probably the bundled assembler, not GNU as.

> And there is one "as" in {SERVER_ROOT}/gcc-2.95.2/gcc dir also.

It's a link to the installation directory of binutils, you haven't
succeeded in installing binutils, so it doesn't work.

Adjust the link to point into the binutils build tree and it will
probably work.

> This means that gcc installation expects that binutils have been installed
> before. And that there is a dir named /opt/binutils/bin . The funnier thing
> is that binutils installation produces no file named "as".

It's gas/as-new