problems with gcc in cygwin

   Hello,

    I have installed the latest verison of cygwin in my PC with Windows NT 4.0
operating system. I have found a strange problem with the gcc package
(2.95.2 version): The compiler does not seem to recognize the escape
character '\' used for continuation of long lines. It prints the error
"Invalid token in expression". The package has been installed with the
setup.exe program included in the distribution.

    However, the same program is compiled without errors by the mingw32
installation of the same gcc compiler (2.95.2), in the same machine.

    The test program is:

    #include <stdio.h>
    #if !defined(AA) && !defined(GG) \
    && !defined(CC)

    static int aa;

    #endif

    int main(void)
    {
      printf("Hello world\n");
    }

    The error is reported in line 2, only if '\' is used.

    Any idea about the problem?

                                                  Joaquin Ferruz