Re: Parallelization on gcc?

Thank you for your suggestions. I am told that the compiler that is on
the
machine by default has a pragma to create specific parallel code. I
don't know
how exactly this works, but I will ask some local people. As I said,
I'm a unix
and C newbie, thus I'm clueless as to what MPI and PVM mean and have no

idea how I would make this program multithreaded. Quick, to the
internet for
some research.

--Leo

>>> "Martin v. Loewis" <martin@loewis.home.cs.tu-berlin.de> 05/31/00

I believe GCC won't directly generate 'parallel' code. Are you sure
there is any compiler at all, free and cheap or not, that could
generate code that makes use of 28 or so processors? I very much doubt
that.

Instead, to make use of many processors, I'd suggest to take the more
traditional approaches: MPI, PVM, multi-threading,
completely-decoupled operating system processes (batch processing).

Regards,
Martin