GCC and AHLON programmers please read.

Guys, I recently used Redhat 5.2 or possibly higher on my AMD Athlon
based system and it had a Kernel panic. Thats bad, right? ;-) Well,
when I purchased Mandrake 6.5 (RH 6.1), it works GREAT. But, I did
notice there are no Athlon specific optimizations in GCC. I really
want to see this come about since this is going to be the dominent
Linux CPU for the next few years AT LEAST.

I am not able to program, so, I can not help to add AMD Athlon
microcode to GCC librarys or whatever- I have to simply ask you
GURUs to do something. On the otherhand, if there is something I
_can_ do to help, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

AMD Athlon PDF tech files
http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/index.html

AMD Athlon x86 microcode optimization
http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/22007.pdf

I know that Athlon has a very deep pipeline that has to keep
filled somehow and it runs a lot of Pentium III code faster than
Pentium III plus, its propriety 3DNOW, which looks very hopeful
to me. GCC would blow away any other compiler if it had these
code ops. =)

If you can seriously help, let me know an I will do what I can
to help- Maybe I can get help from AMD.

Email me at
joel@tweakguide.com

I can help with hardware. That is my forte. Wholesale, advice,
overclocking, etc.