Re: C compiler for PC (tested first example)

In article <7qcl6i$ncr$2@news.cadence.com>,
John Gianni <john@cadence.com> wrote:

>A friend asked what C compiler to use on the PC. I never compiled a C
>program in my life for the PC, but, I looked it up. I was amazed at
>how _hard_ it was to find a pre-compiled Gcc for the Win95 PC. (The web
>page referenced below is about as confusing as Kosovo).
>
>So, I gave up, in the interests of time, on getting her Gcc for the PC.
>Here is the method we used which appears to be a good 1st C program walk-thru.
>
>If you know of a simple way to put GCC on a Win9 PC (and not at the top
>level either), please advise john@cadence.com

John,

Sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble finding a suitable free GNU
C port to the PC.

To install the Mingw port (native Windows32, uses Microsoft's runtime
provided with the OS), all you need are:

  - download
  - unzip using a 32 bit unzip program (such as WinZip)
  - add to PATH
  - run

See http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ for download
info. The current version is gcc-2.95. There is a short description of
the various windows32 ports of GCC that are available, so please take
a quick while you're there.

Regards,
Mumit