Re: build and install questions

  In message <19990827213506.37867.qmail@hotmail.com>you write:
  > Hello. My name is Bob McGraw and I am installing GCC-G++
  > on a SGI Indigo2 Workstation (IRIX6.5). This is the first
  > time I am installing GCC and I have several questions that I
  > hope someone can answer:
  >
  > 1. How long does the build process typically take?
It depends on a number of factors, including the speed of your
machine, whether or not you've got an SMP box, what languages you
build, etc etc.

  > 2. When building GCC in the source directory, we continually
  >     get "warning" message about type mismatches. Is this
  >     atypical, or is it an artifact of the GCC build process?
This is typical and can be safely ignored.

  > 3. When trying to build GCC from the object directory, using the
  >    "make bootstrap", we get an ERROR: cannot find file argv.c.
  >    Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
This sounds like you're using a broken "make" program.  GCC requires a
posix complaint make.  GNU make is known to work.

jeffv