Problem installing gcc

Hi,

I'm building a Linux system from sources,

I would like to build and install the gcc compiler tree, for example,
on the /mnt/usr directory, then I could do 'chroot /mnt' and to be able
to use gcc as usual. (of course everything which is needed to run a
program is already installed in the /mnt tree)

As it is explained in the README/INSTALL files I tryed :

./configure --prefix=/mnt/usr
[...]
make
make install

The problem seems to be that the gcc program (which calls the differents
parts of the compiler) uses some default paths from the ./configure
result
that are not valid after the 'chroot' command.

Does anyone has a solution to that problem and can give me a way to make
the gcc compiler work fine ?

I hope I have been clear enough, ask me for precisions if not :-)

Olivier BOURGEAT
bourgeat@cybercable.fr