Gnu 2.95 and Gdb 4.16

I am having problems using GNU 2.95 with GDB 4.16. The problem is symbol
related, I am using the -gstabs+ option when compiling and linking, and
yet when I use a dynamically allocated class and try to call a method it
doesn't step into the method, i.e. when I do:

aClass a=new aClass;
a->someMethod();

GDB doesn't step into someMethod(). Whats more when I use DDD (version
4.1.6) and open a source file I get the message:
"somefile.cpp" is at address 0xXXXX <method(parms)> but contains no code

What's more it seems that the addresses that the symbol table says a
method or function is at is not neccesarily where physically are.
Incedentally I am not using the -O optimisation option. This is really
getting annoying I can't figure it out, any ideas?

    ChrisM