Re: Linking shared libraries on hpux 10.20 with gcc 2.92.1 fails !!

Try this instead:

g++ -fpic -c a.C
g++ -fpic -c b.C
ld -b a.o b.o -o x.sl

This works for me.  I've had problems in the past with g(cc/++)'s
-shared
flag on HP-UX.  This makes the linker do it.

Eric

jd_wells@my-deja.com wrote:

> I am currently experiencing the exact same
> problem.  Did you ever find out what the problem
> is?
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
> JD Wells
>
> In article
> <38183EF6.39D5007F@oi42.kwu.siemens.de>,
>   "Dr. Armin Tschammer"
> <tscha00a@oi42.kwu.siemens.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Now I succeded in compiling and installing the
> gcc 2.95.1 on a hpux
> > 10.20 box.
> > I would like to create shared libraries and I
> did the following:
> >
> >                   g++ -fpic  -c a.C
> >                   g++ -fpic  -c  b.C
> >                   g++ -shared  a.o b.o -o x.sl
> >
> >   I got the following message:
> >
> > /usr/ccs/bin/ld: DP relative code in
> file /var/tmp/cc2TTYoc.o - shared
> > library must be position
> >     independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> > Any hints ??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >       Armin
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Eric Ladner              | HPUX Systems Admin, Oracle DBA
Pascagoula Refinery      | Java Programmer, Perl scripter, C++
Chevron Products Company | programmer, etc., etc., etc.