Simple Problem please help

Please help me, I am learning C and need a compiler.  I realised I had the
SAMS publishing Learn C in 24 hours disk and on that disk was a free GCC
compiler.  I cant get it to compile anything.

I think the problem is with my path but I dont know how to change it.  Here
is a copy of my autoexec.bat file...

@C:\PROGRA~1\DRSOLO~1\HOMEGU~1\GUARD.COM
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

SET MSINPUT=C:\MSINPUT

as you can see there is no path statement, here are the errors I get when I
run this command in the /bin folder.

I run this command in DOS - GCC MYFILE.C -O FILE.EXE

and get ---   GCC.EXE: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file
or directory
                     GCC.EXE: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal
signal 127

I am sure that this is an easy problem but I am only 15 using my parents PC
so I dont want to muck it up because they use it for buisness.

thankyou