Re: Installing glibc...hopefully a simple question...

In article <lr3dvcb97n.fsf@yoda.wg.waii.com>, Art Haas wrote:
>"Todd Smart" <todd@smartbinary.com> writes:
>

>> The current context of the problem is in installing the latest glibc v2.1.
>> I have downloaded it, unzipped it, untarred it, and I am trying to execute
>> the 'configure' command.
>>
>> Like many other apps on my machine, when I type 'configure', I simply get a
>> message that the command can not be found...even though I am in the
>> directory containing the configure app/scripts.
>>

>If you are doing something like ...
>
>% configure
>
>and get the error, try this ...
>
>% ./configure
>
>You'll execute (if possible) a program/script called 'configure'
>in your current directory.

... which is not the correct way to configure glibc, although yes,
the ./ if . is not in the PATH. Use a different directory for
glibc though like glibc-2.1.2.build and run ../glibc-2.1.2/configure
*after* having read the installation notes. You might need more BTW
like the crypt and the pthreads stuff.

If you're using gcc-2.95.1 use -fno-strict-aliasing too.

Sorry for this all but glibc needs some special care and doing things
wrong can result in either a failed build or a hosed system and then
the real fun begins.

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : juergen@monocerus.demon.co.uk \ send money instead /