Re: g77 slow under Linux, fast under Windoze

In article <37F450CF.5B50C577@physics.unimelb.edu.au>,
Robert Scholten  <r.scholten@physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>Apologies if this is not the right place to ask, but I couldn't find an
>appropriate news group for GNU g77.

gnu.gcc.help is good, and so are the mailing lists mentioned in the GCC
home page at http://gcc.gnu.org/. Please note that I've set followup to
gnu.gcc.help.

>I am very happy with g77, both under Windoze and under Linux.  However,
>in running some speed tests, it is much much faster under Windoze.  I
>compiled with:

And what version of gcc/g77 are you using? What version of binutils? I
would suspect lack of proper alignment to be the cause here, and that
points to (1) you have older binutils, (2) your linux gcc/g77 was built
with an older binutils that didn't support .p2align etc. The lack of
proper alignment can cause horrible performance problems with f77 code.

Regards,
Mumit