Re: [RFC] -Weverything

On 1/22/19 11:34 AM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
Hi,

What would people think about a -Weverything option which turns on
every warning there is?

I think that could be quite useful in some circumstances, especially
to find potential bugs with warnings that people, for some reason
or other, found too noisy for -Wextra.

The name could be something else, of course. In the best GNU tradition,
-Wkitchen-sink could be another option :-)

I often wish GCC supported it -- not in the hopes of finding every
conceivable bug or transgression against known coding styles but
as a tool to discover warnings that have to be explicitly enabled
either by using their own options or by specifying a higher level
than the default.

I agree that using -Weverything on real code would lead to far too
too much noise to be practical, but I think the concern that it would
cause frustration and lead to complaints and bug reports could be
mitigated by documenting the option's purpose or even by issuing
a warning for using it.

Martin