Re: Ping : [Patch, fortran] PR48298 - [F03] User-Defined Derived-Type IO (DTIO)

On 08/27/2016 10:15 PM, Janne Blomqvist wrote:

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Paul Richard Thomas

<paul.richard.thomas@gmail.com> wrote:
Although we have said that we would commit on Monday if no review is
forthcoming, we would very much prefer that somebody takes a look. We
understand perfectly that a 4052 line patch is rather daunting.
However, even a cursory scan of the patch would be helpful.

To be honest, I had a nagging suspicion that DTIO would remain forever
on the TODO list, but as you and Jerry have pulled it off, my hat is
off to you!

At the last Fortran Standardization Committee meeting (Boulder, June) I opined that UDDTIO might be an unsolved F2003 issue in gfortran eternally, because there is no real *pressure* for a free compiler to be Standard Conformant.

Now the last major item on the F2003 list is "parameterized derived types". Compiler writers on the committee tell me that you need to overhaul most of the front end (and parts of the run-time library) to get that correct ...

Thanks Paul et al. for working on this daunting task !

Kind regards,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/