Re: gfortran "partial" recursive I/O support

FX Coudert wrote:
Looking at the table of F2003 advancement in compilers at http://portalparts.acm.org/1280000/1279941/fm/frontmatter.pdf, I see a "partial" for gfortran in the category "Recursive input/output" (same thing here: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status). However, I don't know what is missing, and can't find an open PR either. Does someone know what this "partial" means exactly?

IIRC, (and I will have to try this to confirm it) gfortran can have an I/O statement with an I/O list item that is a function that returns a value that will be transferred and at the same time, that function can itself contain an I/O statement that will be performed and completed before the function returns.

I don't recall whether the constraint that the child I/O can only identify an external unit that is identical to the parent is enforced.

Also, A large part of recursive I/O involves derived type I/O where the sub objects within a derived type perform their portion of the I/O. I have not studied this much yet, but it is similar I think to class objects containing methods for performing their own I/O so that a higher level class will effectively inherit all the lower level user defined I/O.

So, until we have implemented derived type I/O we can only claim partial recursive I/O.

Hope I got that straight.

Jerry