Re: Fwd: RFH: GPLv3

FX Coudert wrote:

Forwarding an announcement from Mark to the gcc@gcc.gnu.org list.

(On a personal note, I think it looks like some more effort is going to be diverted from making GCC a great compiler into educating the people out there to this weird new version number change.)

It's not that weird - see http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html and the change from 3.1 half-way the development to 3.2 (July 14, 2002).

That one was needed because of an incompatible ABI change (which we promised only to happen on change of the second digit of the version number).

This is a comparable change (makes it hard-to-impossible to backport fixes), so people are warned in the same way.

I hope this clarifies.

Cheers,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands