OSSODA and (free) Fortran 95/200x

Dear Sir,

Just yesterday one of my fellow members of the ANSI Fortran Standardization Committee J3 (www.j3-fortran.org) pointed out to me the document found at:

http://www.llnl.gov/asci/pathforward_trilab/OSSODA_PF_RFI_V9e.pdf

In it, I find the following assessment of the Fortran situation at the three National Laboratories under consideration (page 23):

"There is a large legacy code base of Fortran 77 code. One popular open-source compiler, g77 cannot even begin to compile any of this legacy code due to missing support for Cray-style pointers and many other legacy extensions. Another popular open-source compiler, Open64, cannot compile any of this code because it lacks support for the required platforms. This legacy code base needs to be maintained and ported to new platforms. There are several code efforts actively developing Fortran77/9x software.

We are seeing a remarkable decline in the Fortran user community both inside and outside of the general HPC community. Many HPC community codes are turning to C/C++, but Fortran is still very important in the NNSA Tri-Laboratory HPC community.

A possible reason behind the decline in the Fortran user base is the lack of a standard-compliant, open-source compiler. There is no single cross-platform standard compliant open-source compiler solution.

The open-source aspect would get a compiler into the hands of universities at no cost. This would serve to increase the Fortran programmer base, which will, at the very least, provide a base from which to draw Fortran programmers. At best, it will make the language more popular which would in turn increase the likelihood of better quality Fortran compilers and tools."

As the maintainer of g77 I appreciate this analysis (and I agree with it fully), but I am surprised that the document suggests that a free Fortran 95 compiler doesn't exist at all.

The effort to create g95 dates back to 1999. In July of this year, the code base was integrated into the central GCC CVS repository. We expect that the code, which is part of an experimental branch at the moment, will be ready for release by the end of 2004.

The obvious question, from our side (the developers of free software), is: Why would you want to bootstrap a new effort instead of supporting an existing one ?

Sincerely yours,

GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ (under construction)