This is the mail archive of the
libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the libstdc++ project.
Re: [PATCH] Make StdVectorPrinter in printers.py compatible with ddd
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2) Is it reasonable for a gdb front-end to expect a comma to be used
>> in the way that it is used in the pre-patched code?
>
> Mu.
>
> A GDB front end should use one of the programmatic interfaces to get
> output from GDB, writing a GUI by parsing text meant for display in a
> terminal is doomed to fail in the long run.
>
Interesting. I was under the impression from looking at the GDB
Machine Interface documentation
(http://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/GDB_002fMI-Variable-Objects.html#GDB_002fMI-Variable-Objects)
that the same python pretty-printing code could be used for formatting
variables through the programmatic interface, but I may be misreading
the documentation. It does say that there's no way to implement it in
a fully backward-compatible way, so I suppose existing GUIs shouldn't
be expected to automatically work.
> But I do think this particular change is reasonable.
Thanks.