Re: [v3] libstdc++/28125

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
>

> > Removes the remaining AC_CHECK_LIB in libstdc++ config.
> >
> > tested x86/linux
> >
> > gcc
> > gcc-4_2-branch
> > gcc-4_1-branch
>
> Ben,
>
> I'm getting tons of libstdc++ regressions now on my solaris10 box (so many
> that the results get rejected from the testsuite mailing list for being
> too large.)
>
> I believe it's due to your patch.  My box has a 32-bit copy of gnu
> libiconv in /usr/local/lib.  (Not my choice, I don't control it.)  I run
> the testsuite additionally with 64-bit multilibs (among other things) and
> all these tests die because:
>
> ld: fatal: file /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
>
> which makes sense.
>
> For the 32-bit tests, I'm also getting:
>
> ld: warning: file /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so: attempted multiple inclusion of file
>
> which makes less sense to me.
>

> Anyway, solaris10 has the iconv functions in libc, and should be able to
> resolve 32 or 64 bit automatically without linking anything else.  So
> IMHO, your configury magic should prefer the system's iconv functions
> (i.e. try linking with no -liconv first) over any libiconv installed in
> /usr/local/lib.

Ben - Looks like Joe started having the same problem on solaris2.8 around
the same time as when your patch went in.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2006-12/msg00543.html

Joe, can you investigate where your libstdc++ errors are coming from and
confirm whenther it's related to libiconv?

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu