Re: [RFC] libstdc++/16956 vs interpretation of 27.7.1.3, p13

Hi everyone again,

Well, Icc/Dinkum appear to agree with this different reading and, in fact, the wording of the standard: "pos_type(newoff), constructed from the resultant offset newoff (of type off_type), that stores the resultant stream position, if possible." seems rather favourable to it...

Changing this behavior is very easy but it's important to reach a complete agreement about the issue.

In the meanwhile, I learned that v2, STLPort and another important implementation all agree about this
different interpretation of the standard. Also, the current one is inconsistent with filebuf::seekoff.

Therefore, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that we have "just" a serious bug: I'm preparing a variant
of submitter patch + testcases, which will post soon.

The text of the standard could be clearer, indeed, but this is another issue...

Thanks,