This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libstdc++ project.
Re: [RFC] libstdc++/16956 vs interpretation of 188.8.131.52, p13
- From: Paolo Carlini <pcarlini at suse dot de>
- To: Paolo Carlini <pcarlini at suse dot de>
- Cc: libstdc++ <libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:48:42 +0200
- Subject: Re: [RFC] libstdc++/16956 vs interpretation of 184.108.40.206, p13
- References: <41192D63.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Hi everyone again,
Well, Icc/Dinkum appear to agree with this different reading and, in
fact, the wording of the standard: "pos_type(newoff), constructed from
the resultant offset newoff (of type off_type), that stores the
resultant stream position, if possible." seems rather favourable to it...
Changing this behavior is very easy but it's important to reach a
complete agreement about the issue.
In the meanwhile, I learned that v2, STLPort and another important
implementation all agree about this
different interpretation of the standard. Also, the current one is
inconsistent with filebuf::seekoff.
Therefore, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that we have "just" a
serious bug: I'm preparing a variant
of submitter patch + testcases, which will post soon.
The text of the standard could be clearer, indeed, but this is another