Re: patch - implement stdio_fstream

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:11:06PM -0500, Robert Schweikert wrote:

> Here is a patch implementing stdio_fstream, and extension that is
> usefull for applications requiring legacy APIs or applications wanting
> to attach a stream to a pipe or an open file.
>
> I am still waiting for the copyright assignment paper work but thought
> I'd post the patch to allow people to comment or let me if I need to
> make any corrections.

How about making this ctor take a std::string ?

      stdio_ifstream(const char* __s,
                     std::ios_base::openmode __mode = std::ios_base::in)

I know there are good reasons not to do this for std::fstream, but this
class is an extension anyway.

Thoughts?

Similarly, any plans to resurrect Phil's patch to make fstream take
std::string, or is that being permanently dropped as a non-standard
extension?  c.f. http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2001-06/msg00008.html

I'm not in terrible need of either of these, but thought I'd raise it
for discussion again.

jon

--
"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases
 to be serious when people laugh."