Re: performance analysis producer_consumer.cc TEST_T5

law@redhat.com wrote:

In message <4030DE6D.50607@redhat.com>, Will Cohen writes:
>I looked over the code a bit more. The tight loop that the code spends >most of its time is the result of the size() operation. The code is >counting the number of elements in the list. The size() operation for >the list basically has to walk the linked list. The means of counting >the number of objects in other containers don't have a size() operation >that is O(n). The other size operations usually get a couple values, >subtract, and scale the result. There are two possible reasons I can >think of things going wrong with the list version as a result of the >size() operation not being atomic:
Funny, a one of the customers you visited a couple weeks ago has complained
repeatedly about not having an efficient means to get the number of objects
on a list....

Hi. The obvious citation:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/23_containers/howto.html#6

It would be easy to change that, if we reach an agreement about the concerned
trade-offs...