[v3] allocator documentation revamp

Tested x86/linux

Not the final word, of course. I'm going to be off-line for a bit and
wanted to get this in, so that people who wanted to do edits could go at
it. (Editors, remember: diff -cp and ChangeLogs are required.)

Up-to-date info, and links to the places mentioned in the various
discussions. Re-organization.

Stefan, now you know where to put documentation. I suspect you'll want
to do markup  fixups. I figured you could do this better than myself.

-benjamin