libc and libstdc++ relationship

Is libc required to build a good libstdc++? My target is arm-wince-pe
and I'm using newlib as my libc. I build gcc, and as part of it
libstdc++, first before I build newlib. libstdc++ builds cleanly even
though I have no libc built yet, which to me is quite surprising. I then
continue on to build newlib. Is this the best way to do it? Is building
libstdc++ before newlib sane?

--target=arm-wince-pe
binutils-2.14
gcc-3.3