Re: [v3] Print ints directly to streambuf

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:45:36PM -0800, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:26:12PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:
> > I wonder how often this is faster.   Probably we can identify targets
> > where it is, and add a flag in config.h.  (In practice, most numbers
> > are small, although maybe not most hex-formatted numbers.)
>
> Dunno.  Definitely faster on i386, ia64, ppc, arm, alphaev67.
>
> For others we get out-of-line code; dunno how much slower that
> might be.  We could perhaps re-instate some ifdeffing such
> that the out of line code did a binary search for the correct
> value (I'd removed that as hairy to get right).

I find that compiling a function that mentions __builtin_clz just
results in an "undeclared identifier" error report.  I have been
searching in the gcc sources for any indication of support for
__builtin_clz.

I find gcc/longlong.h, but that doesn't get installed for user code.
Are you suggesting that we copy the (uglified) contents gcc/longlong.h
into the set of headers released with libstdc++?  Most likely users
would like to have those functions ready to hand.

Nathan Myers
ncm-nospam at cantrip dot org