Re: _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T undefined in FreeBSD's c++config.h?

>If I bootstrap gcc 3.3 branch, I notice that
>include/c++/3.3/i386-unknown-freebsd5.0/bits/c++config.h
>does not define _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T as it does under Linux.

Probably because, during the configure process, support for correctly
implementing this was found not to exist.

A look at how Irix 6.5.18 fixed this, recently, will prove to be
enlightening. Take a look at the libstdc++ list in the past couple of
weeks, when the archive comes back up, for posts by D. Billinghurst, and
K. Gazhi.

Perhaps Loren can provide you with more info WRT the BSD port's current
status. I know there was a off-the-cuff statement made that 5.0 would
actually have more support for wchar_t, but I am not familiar with this
platform.

>This makes it impossible to compile the following snippet of
>code:
>
>#include <string>
>
>using namespace std;
>
>int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>{
>  std::wstring a;
>  return 0;
>}

If support for wchar_t is found lacking, as I see it, there are two
options that are acceptable.

1) compile failure

2) link failure

The current approach is #1.