Re: merging for 3.4 (was Re: [Patch] Qualify min(), max() ...)

David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> [...]
> Diego> I see two possible scenarios regarding optimization:
>
> Diego> (a) We merge the infrastructure with the optimizers disabled and
> Diego> keep working on them in mainline.  This has the advantage of
> Diego> exposing the code for more testing, but it might disrupt
> Diego> development.
> [...]
>
> 	I would prefer (a) because that allows Tree-SSA to be a GCC
> technology preview in the GCC 3.4 release to which improvements can be
> merged in during later Stages of GCC 3.4 development.  [...]

Another possible technology preview aspect of tree-ssa is the mudflap
bounds-checking work.  It demonstrates a tree-rewriting transform that
adds newish functionality, flag-controlled, to the compiler, thus not
becoming a possible performance regression.  It could showcase the
value of a generic tree IR, an issue distinct from the presence of
ssa-based optimizations.

- FChE