Re: merging for 3.4 (was Re: [Patch] Qualify min(), max() ...)

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 01:03 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 13:39, Neil Booth wrote:
Jan Hubicka wrote:-

Compiler is getting slower in each release but that is mostly cumulative
result of adding new features current infrastructure can't accept
cheaply...
I hate this slowness.  There's no reason IMO that GCC couldn't be 4
times faster than it is, without any PCH or anything.  A lot of the
code we use is just awfully inefficient.  And people are working on
more interesting things than fixing some of the real problems we have.

Some of the advantages to working on the tree-ssa bits is that they will
(hopefully) enable us to do a better job of optimizing faster so that
the later rtl routines have less to work with and are faster as a
result.
Except that most of the compile time is taken up in the front end.
That's what we've found at Apple for the projects we care most
about, anyway.

Are there good test cases for the 3.1 -> 3.3 compile time
regressions?  It would be interesting to study them and find out
just what has gotten slower.  If the numbers people have been
tossing around are real, then these are very serious regressions
and we should consider slipping the schedule rather than
releasing a compiler with those sorts of performance problems.

			--Matt