This is the mail archive of the
libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the libstdc++ project.
Re: RFC --enable-debugging
- From: "B. Kosnik" <bkoz at nabi dot net>
- To: Brad Spencer <spencer at infointeractive dot com>
- Cc: gdr at integrable-solutions dot net, phil at jaj dot com, bkoz at redhat dot com, libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:52:03 -0600
- Subject: Re: RFC --enable-debugging
- References: <u8hef89r7o.fsf@gromit.moeb><20021029161117.A21995@disaster.jaj.com><20021031174957.A15579@disaster.jaj.com><20021031194119.548d7555.bkoz@redhat.com><m365vgyb38.fsf@soliton.integrable-solutions.net><20021031224637.A18172@disaster.jaj.com><m3of98w1sg.fsf@soliton.integrable-solutions.net><20021106164201.E28449@infointeractive.com>
>As an everyday library user, I compile and link everything with -g
>even when I build final release builds with full optimization so that
>the debugging symbols are in the binary in the event of a crash. If
>-g becomes overloaded to also mean "pick a non-optimized library
>implementation", this could be a nasty surprise.
Yeah. This is what I think too.
I'd like to go ahead and do a proof-of-concept implementation of this,
based on just putting the debug library in prefix/lib/debug. This will
allow it to be used with -L directives.
This work has slipped to the back burner as bug-fixing for 3.2.1 has
moved into the top priority. It's first on my list of things to do when
3.2.1 ships. (Second, I guess, after merging the GLIBCPP_FORCE_NEW
work.)
-benjamin