Re: please stop messing with the indentation

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 11:18:53AM -0700, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> I'm not impressed. Phil, what's up?

I thought you'd seen them already.  My bad.  They've been in all the
patches I've posted publicly, honest.  :-)

What's up are two things:  first, that in a 78-column limit it's nice to
use all the vertical space.  For those files that look like

    namespace std
    {
         the entire file
    }

the namespace-indentation is (IMHO) just a waste of a nonrenewable resource.

Secondly -- and this is what started me doing it -- some source code analysis
tools don't see entities where the opening brace isn't at column zero.
(Including most of the text editors I'm familiar with.)

I like the normal indentation rules for everything inside the namespace,
but when there's only one namespace and everything's inside it, the extra
spacing just gets in my way.  I don't feel religious about it, though, so
if the consensus is that they should go away, okay.

Phil