Re: gcc-3.0.2 + hash_map<string,int> compilation problems

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:42:45PM +0200, Stefan Olsson wrote:
> I have had the same issue and solved it by declaring:
>
> #include <string>
> #include <ext/hash_map>
>
> namespace __gnu_cxx
> {
>         template<> struct hash< std::string >
>         {
>                 size_t operator()( const std::string& x ) const
>                 {
>                         return hash< const char* >()( x.c_str() );
>                 }
>         };
> }

That's definitely one way to do it; if you look at ext/stl_hash_fun.h you'll
see what's happening here.  You could return __stl_hash_string directly.
If you're going to use a nonportable extension, why stop with just one?  :-)

> I guess that the reason for not having this declared in the std::string
> is that the hash* are extensions to the standard.

I'm assuming you meant /for/ std::string rather than /in/ std::string.

Take a look at the notes from authors of the hash* stuff:

    http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/hash.html
    http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/HashFunction.html

> Maybe something like
> the above could be added into the codebase somewhere else?

As the second link points out, the default hashing function is only a guess.
You are encouraged to write your own and use it instead of __stl_hash_string.

Phil