Re: [RFC] PR6015, snprintf, glibc2.3 and all that...

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

>>4- What's wrong, then, with excerpting /right now/ some of snprintf GPL
>>code from glibc2.2, stripping it down to the essential and implementing
>>the "hard-wired" approach outlined by Benjamin?
>>
>Nothing.
>
>>5- In case for some utterly mysterious legal reasons something is not
>>ok  with glibc (I cannot imagine what!) there are around nice, free
>>standing GPL implementations of snprintf, which would suffice for our
>>purposes, for instance: http://www.ijs.si/software/snprintf/
>>

>Right. Pick one, do a patch.......

Thanks Benjamin for your encouragement...

Now possibly I got a more detailed line of attach: if I understand well
the implementation of snprintf in glibc, it relies essentially on
fprintf. Now, we have a /builtin/ fprintf which we could probably
exploit! Other builtins are already used in v3, right?

How exactly they work? I'm not very knowldedgeable about them... They do
not rely on an external libc, right? Do you think it would be possible
to force __builtin_fprintf to use the "C" locale unconditionally? It
would be great!

Ciao, Paolo.