Re: Extensionless headers

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:11:30AM -0800, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> I'm most interested in seeing what problems show up, and fixing them if
> and when they exist. I'd prefer to hold off on more spectulative design
> and wait and see what happens.

Some problems have shown up.  :-)  Not for users, but for a developer.

The bits/std_foo.h -> std/foo move is a good simplification, I agree,
but the problems Nathan raises are more than speculative.

As a old school power user of *nix tools, I probably use shell constructs
and find/grep/awk/sed/etc more than most people on this list, and I partially
agree with Nathan that no longer being able to match header filenames with a
globbing expression (*.h or anything else) is annoying.  It's not as serious
as he makes it out to be, I believe, but it's slightly more complicated.

I discovered this while trying to update and extend our doxygen setup.

Now more than previously I think that my suggestion or something like it
should be applied.  To wit:

-  rename std/foo -> std/std_foo.h
   (or a similar pattern if the 'std' duplication bothers people; simply using
   foo.h is too generic and will get us into trouble)

-  have include/Makefile.am make the std/std_foo.h -> foo switch

I did this in my local tree.  Nothing broke.

Phil